It’s the time of year when visions of peppermint mochas appear all over the place. It’s so tempting to stop by Starbucks or your local coffee shop and get this delectable drink. But why pay almost five bucks or more when it’s so easy to make yourself?! Making coffeehouse quality drinks at home is really much easier than you might think. You don’t even need any fancy gadgets, just a few simple ingredients.
It’s no secret that I love coffee. I also love trying new coffee recipes. For this peppermint mocha, I basically used my vanilla au lait recipe and modified it for peppermint mocha. You’ll notice that it also has coconut oil. This has been a staple in my morning coffee for a while now, but if you don’t have any just leave it out. All the other ingredients should be things you likely already have or can get easily.
I don’t like my coffee to be really sweet so I don’t use a lot of sweetener, but you can easily adjust these ingredients to your liking. What I like best about this recipe is that it’s easy to just make one cup at a time without having to make anything ahead. Just put everything your morning coffee and viola! You’ve got a coffeehouse drink right at home.
Easy Homemade Peppermint Mocha
Yield: 1 serving
- about 1/2 to 1 cup strong coffee
- about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pure peppermint (or mint) extract
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1-2 tablespoons sugar or other sweetener (use more or less depending on how sweet you want it)
- 1/4 cup half and half or milk
- red and green sprinkles (optional)
- Pour coffee into large mug. Put all ingredients except milk into the mug. Stir or whisk until well blended.
- Pour milk into a smaller mug and warm up for about 30 seconds in the microwave. Froth with a milk frother. Pour over coffee while using spoon to hold back the foam. Spoon foam over the top.
- Top with Christmas colored sprinkles (optional).
What is your favorite winter drink?
What’s other flavors of coffee drinks would you like to know how to make?